I've worked in the health care industry, the retail industry and for the past decade in the corporate industry and I have come to the conclusion schools need a change in strategy to prepare students for life in the real world. With that said, I am going to propose some ideas, or as business calls them; goals.
Corporate America must of all had their ears pricked up, since they all adopted Five Year Plans, never mind the fact the Soviet Union was failing to meet the needs of its population and eventually self-destructed.
It is my belief that America must change it's primary and secondary school models to prepare students for life in corporate America. I therefore suggest The Corporate School Model for grades K - 12.
|Soviet 5 year plan poster|
Youth, Appearance, Health and Size. Essentially what this means is those that appear to be old or merely look old, unattractive or physically damaged, those who are in poor health and those who are overweight and those who are too tall and not able to play sports are unworthy and will be designated as Minions.
The more tenured of the Delegates make the decisions and direct the Overseers to instruct their minions to carry out the Five Year Plan.
The decisions should be made on this model of the Five Year Plan.
- Year One - Design the plan
- Year Two - Implement the first stage of the plan by having the overseers instruct their minions and insure the minions are following the instruction.
- Year Three - Evaluate which aspects of the plan are necessary and which are unnecessary.
- Year Four - Rid the plan of the unneeded provisions, change the model and let the overseers will instruct minions on how to implement the change.
- Year Five - Decide the entire five year plan is a failure. Place the blame on the most tenured delegates, (most of whom have graduated by now, left the school or have gone on to administration positions). Any delegates remaining must transfer to a different school. The rest of the year will be spent brainstorming the new Five Year Plan.
Another vital criteria for the corporate school model is behavior. There will be acceptable behavior for each of the three classes of students and teachers.
- Delegates should only rarely engage in conversation with minions. If they do they must be respectful of the lowest caste, avoid touching them and limit eye contact. Answer their questions, but if any of the minions remarks are controversial let them know you will have to pose that at the next meeting. Email them at a later date thanking them for their thoughtful concern. Ignore their concern.
- Overseers must interact with the minions on a daily basis, so engaging them is imminent. Be friendly, but not close. Be certain to imply your camaraderie with other Overseers is more important than your relationship to your minions. Answer the minions questions by making them feel unworthy of your vast wealth of knowledge. If your vast wealth of knowledge is unable to answer a question, never...I repeat never use the phrase, "I don't know." Ignore your minion by telling them, "I'll get back with you on that. I can't be interrupted now. I have an important meeting to go to." After obtaining the answer from another Overseer, email your minion and thank them for their concern. Do not belittle a minion.
- Minions are the task-doers and order-takers. They should continually be made aware of this fact. These are the ones who actually implement the schools five year plan, but will be seated in the last row at graduation. To prepare them for life in the post graduate world be certain they should be aware of their lowly place in the schools eschelon.
In the United States we vote to elect leaders. But as the U.S is a republic, the top leaders are not elected by popular vote. The President is elected by an electoral college, while other leaders are appointed. The corporate world appoints their leaders. If there is a vote it is done by proxy, which is a bother and ignored by most shareholders. Therefore the corporate school model should appoint its leaders.
The election for class president has become passe. The most popular kid usually won it anyway. The outgoing Delegates should be those who decide on their replacement to mirror the model of the corporate world.
By adopting this policy the rate of those dropping out of school early, serving detention for insubordinate behavior or announcing the family's dog ate their homework will surely decrease.
I know because it is my Five Year Plan.