Friday, January 23, 2009

Norma Tanega

I was about 13 years old when a song came on the radio called Walkin
My Cat Named Dog.

It was a fun and catchy tune about a city girl walking her cat around town. This song came out in an era before hippies, metal and the arrival of the drug culture. Austin Powers would have fit right in as British bands, mini skirts, shirts with puffy sleeves and bell-bottom trousers were all the rage. It was a good time to be around.


I never forgot that song and wondered who sang it. In an internet forum that I sometimes check out, someone had found a video of Norma Tanega. It was That Girl.

She sort of looks like she has some American Indian heritage, but she is Fillapino and she was cute. And you have to admire a girl who has the most excellent taste in guitars to play a SG Junior with a P90.

Reality struck me today. Alas I am no longer a youth. I read a bio of Norma and found her birthdate to be 1939. She is 70 and her cat has probably gone off to join the cat choir invisible on the backyard fence of Heaven.

Anyway, let's go back to 1965. Here is Norma
:

Walkin' My Cat Named Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZVrmJ2HH8