Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Economic Justice - A Bedtime Story

"During his NAACP speech earlier this month, Sen. Obama repeated the term at least four times. "I've been working my entire adult life to help build an America where economic justice is being served," he told the group during their 99th annual convention in Cincinnati."




Once upon a time there was a little boy. He was a very good little boy and he always helped his Mother tidy up the house before Dad came home from working at the grist mill.


"They're always piling up more gristle for the mill. It never stops"
the little boy's Dad complained. "But I keep that ol' millstone a'turnin', that's all I ever do. I guess it's a job."

"There, there dear," the Mom would say. "Come in and have a nice supper. I've made homemade stoneground bread."

For the family ate a lot of stoneground bread since the man got a company discount.


As the family ate dinner the little boy said that he saw a man on the television that spoke to lots of people about somthing called economic justice.

He said,
"Daddy, what is economic justice?"


The Dad put down his third helping of stoneground bread and said, "Well son, what do I know? I work at a grist mill. Ask your Mom."

Well sir, the little boy's Mother was a very wise woman and a pretty decent baker. She said, "Darling son, I can tell you all about economic justice." "It's like this. Everyday you help me tidy the house and you clean your room so we can make our home a nice place to live."

"Yes Mommy" said the young tyke.

"And every Saturday Mommy gives you five dollars and takes you to the store so you can buy candy or a toy. That is your reward for being a good and helpful little boy."



"Yes Mommy. It makes me happy" the little guy replied.

"Well, economics is when you earn something for doing a good job, then you take your earnings and buy the things that you want to buy. Then the man at the toy store and the lady at the candy store get paid and they buy things that their families want. This is economics." Answered the Mother.


The little boy thought a minute and said, "If that is Economics, then what is Economic Justice that the man on TV was talking about?"

"Well son" said the wise Mother, "You may not know this, but there are children that do not want help their Mommy or Daddy. And they do not get any reward. These children have no money to buy the things that they want because they are lazy or they are used to screaming and crying until their Mom or Dad gives them money for nothing."

"Is that Economic Justice?" questioned the lad.

"Not quite." explained Mom. "Let's say you did your chores and cleaned your room and were a real good boy. I gave you five dollars on Saturday and we went to the candy store so you could buy a treat. Now imagine there at the candy store were ten children that didn't help their parents and they don't have money to buy candy. According to Economic Justice, you must give each of those kids some of your money. You must give each one of those children 40 cents and you can keep what's left."


"But Mom, those kid's didn't help me clean my room. Why should I have to give them my money that I worked hard to get? I get five dollars and if I have to give my money away, I only make one dollar for my reward" whimpered the disappointed young scamp, who didn't even have to use his fingers to do the math.

"That is how Economic Justice works young man" chimed in the Father.
"Economic Justice says that everyone should be entitled to an equal amount of money, whether they work for it or not. Everyone should be equal."

"But Daddy, why should I have to work hard and give away my money. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit" the boy said in an upset tone of voice. "Those kid's should have to earn their own money and buy their own candy. Economic Justice is not fair at all!"

The Dad smiled at his son and he said, "Son you are wise like your mother. I'm very proud of you."

The family finished their stoneground bread and went off to the living room and watched and episode of CSI.

After that the little boy went to bed and had Kafka dreams.

But they lived happily ever after.

No comments: