Sunday, June 01, 2008

Heart Attack?

My family doctor, thinks I had a heart attack last week. My cardiologist stated that I was in Atrial Fibrillation, but didn't use the words heart attack. So I don't know. I generally equate a heart attack with myocardial infarction.

I do know that I am feeling much better. My heart still skips a beat periodically, but my pulse is steady and my blood pressure is right around 110/60. I am losing some weight, but I need to lose more. My blood glucose has been from 150 to 93. I am trying.



My family doc stated that atrial fibrillation is caused by 1. a heart attack 2. an old heart. I am becoming a fossil, but I'm not ready for Shady Acres just yet. Besides Shady Acres smells like poo and lotion.



Atrial Fibrillation involves the upper two chambers of the heart that pump in blood. They are beating arrhymically and way too fast, so not enough blood is capable of being pumped throughout the system.

One of the big concerns if the condition persists is clotting of the blood that can lead to stroke. Something occurs with the SA node (sinoatrial node) that causes the electricity generated by the heart to become disorganized due to impulses from the atrium and the pulmonary veins. This condition can become chronic and may need to be treated through catheterization or surgical based therapies if medication does not work. One method to correct cardiac rhythm is through electoshock therapy. The other method would be administering drugs introveneously.

The follow up is done through echocardiography to check for thrombosis. Then rate therapy is done orally through several different drugs.

I have been monitoring my vital signs and all appears well.

No comments: