Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Pandas Are Scary

A drunken Chinese migrant worker jumped into a panda enclosure at the Beijing Zoo, was bitten by the bear and retaliated by chomping down on the animal's back, state media said Wednesday.

Zhang Xinyan, from the central province of Henan, drank four jugs of beer at a restaurant near the zoo before visiting Gu Gu the panda on Tuesday, the Beijing Morning Post said.

"He felt a sudden urge to touch the panda with his hand," and jumped into the enclosure, the newspaper said.

The panda, who was asleep, was startled and bit Zhang, 35, on the right leg, it said. Zhang got angry and kicked the panda, who then bit his other leg.
Zang is currently hospitalized.

This reminds me of a visit that I had one morning from the Jehovah Witnesses. I used to own a grocery store. Every Saturday the JW’s would pull up in a van, pile out and scour the community in groups of two looking for anyone that looked like they would listen. They mistakenly the stopped in to offer me some encouraging words and proselytize.

“Do you know God’s name?” ,some nice lady in a flowery dressed asked me. She handed me a colorful brochure about the world to come. The picture on the cover had a lion with a lamb in it’s paws and a giant panda holding a child.

I explained that I did know God’s name. It was God. I also explained that picture was terrifying and asked her to take it away. She was not at all pleased and asked why.

I explained that not only were lions terrifying beasts, but that even though they appeared to be cuddly, giant pandas were dangerous and would tear that child to pieces and how dare they publish such literature. The Witnesses were not too pleased at my response especially when I asked them to leave and take their horrid pictures with them.

I appears from the China story that Gu-gu the Panda proved me to be right. But then no one likes to be around a drunk.

No comments: