Monday, July 26, 2010

The M Word

I got together with my family last night to celebrate the 16th birthday of my niece.

During the party, we discussed the political and financial issues of the day. We agreed with each other, which is darn rare when you get a group together of people that all have an Irish Heritage. Despite the stereotype, those of us with Celtic roots enjoy an occasional verbal slugfest.

Most of the relatives I was speaking with were in their late 40’s or mid 50’s. We’ve seen a good economy and we’ve seen the down markets. It is funny these both down turns occurred under the watch of Democratic presidents; i.e. Carter & Obama.

By the way...it is not O'Bama!

My brother-in-law chimed in to remind us the Irish were once slaves and pulled themselves up by the bootstraps. He stated we used to be called, “A bunch of damned Micks!”

I reminded him that we never use the “M” word. Never, ever!

No comments: